A Coffee and Some Movies Friday
At about 10 o’clock last night I realized I had spent what felt like oodles of time writing. I wrote a guest post (!!!) that will be on Randomly Chad on Monday, worked on my assigned blog reviews as part of the ABC Project at the best blogging community (Killer Tribes), and even jotted down a few notes for a long-neglected fun writing project. It was a great way to spend an evening, clicking away on my keyboard as my husband blew up Internet spaceships and built pixilated stuff in Minecraft at the opposite end of the couch.
But there was something I had neglected:
Today’s blog post!
All was not lost, however, thanks to an idea planted in my head via my Twitter feed and the convenience of Apple TV. So let me present Three Movies I Want to See and Three Movies You Should See If You Haven’t Yet:
Three Movies I Want to See
- The Intouchables – I read a bit about this movie in the local newspaper, and was intrigued by the story of a street-wise man who is hired as a caretaker/aid for a wealthy man who is a quadriplegic. The trailer sealed the deal. I will gladly read yellow (or white or red) subtitles for this French-language film. For real.
- The Bourne Legacy – My husband and I have seen the trio of Bourne films starring Matt Damon (shaky-cam work and all), and after seeing the trailer for the fourth installment starring Jeremy Reimer I’m optimistic this will be a solid addition to the franchise. (It also hints at less shaky-cam work, which is getting to be a little bit overdone in my opinion.)
- Ruby Sparks – This pick is a bit of a wild card as I’m not always a fan of rom-coms. Plus I watched this trailer mainly because I wanted a third film for my list. But it’s an interesting premise – an author creates a character that comes to life – so who knows? I may convince a girlfriend or two to see it with me and end up enjoying it!
Three Movies You Should See If You Haven’t Yet
- The Avengers – One word: Awesome. A few more words: It’s an action-packed, well-written, and funny flick. If Joss Whedon is not asked to direct any future installments, then someone needs to ‘get their Hulk on’ with whatever pertinent film executives.
- Men in Black 3 – Let’s be honest – Men in Black 2 was a bit of a disappointment, but the franchise redeems itself with the third installment. Josh Brolin in particular is a treat, doing a stellar job playing a younger version of Tommy Lee Jones’ character Agent K. A theory as to the origins of famous 60s artist Andy Warhol is a definite highlight.
- Men in Black – Seriously, you haven’t seen this film yet? (And I’m seriously putting this in the #3 spot? Yes, yes I am.) While you don’t need to see it to enjoy MiB3, it will help you to have an understanding of the movie’s universe. After having watched it again this past weekend, I was reminded of what a fun, if at times squicky, story it told. (And thanks to Wikipedia, I could read about Men in Black 2 without having to watch it again. Win-win!)
What films would you add to this list? Feel free to share in the comments section below!
Photo Credit: EvelynGiggles ©2009 (Flickr via Creative Commons)