I, as can many other people, relate to this scene from Pixar’s Up:
Take the process I went through in preparing today’s post:
- Log onto computer.
- Open Word document to begin typing post.
- Look for picture to go with post.
- Go into iTunes to see why I can’t seem to access iTunes Match.
- Read about Lion OS X.
- Refrain from downloading Lion OS X.
- Look for You Tube clip of Dug and his first squirrel bit.
- Watch other YouTube clips from Up.
- Read a Doctor Who fanfic.
- Write opening bit for blog post after having downloaded picture.
And so it goes. It’s silly sometimes how easily I can flit from one task to another to another, until I have to take a moment to remember what I started on so I can finish it. But I am working on changing it, on getting myself to stay focused on a task until it’s done before moving onto the next one or before doing the ‘fun’ thing.
How do you deal with or avoid distractions?
*Photo Credit: Dr. Stephen Dann (Flickr via Creative Commons)